This recipe was inspired by the Mexican Beef and Zucchini Recipe at Low Carb Yum. I had just gone grocery shopping earlier in the week and got ground beef at a great price. I only knew what I was doing with half of the ground beef, so a quick internet search led me to LCY recipe. I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand for the exact recipe, but my modified version was pretty delicious!
When I posted the picture above to Facebook, my sister called and asked if I used apples! I was a little perplexed, but after another look, I can see what made her ask. Now I cannot wait to try this recipe with apples (probably in the fall).
1-2 lbs ground beef
1-2 teaspoons garlic salt
1-2 teaspoons black pepper
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans
2 teaspoons minced onion
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium zucchini, peeled and quartered
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place on burner over medium heat.
2. Add ground beef, garlic salt, and black pepper to skillet and cook, breaking beef up/stirring occasionally, until beef is browned.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, kidney beans, minced onion, chili powder, ground cumin, and crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Turn heat to low, cover skillet, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add zucchini, replace lid, and let simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
You can enjoy this as is or over your favorite pasta.