Did you know that March was Frozen Food Month? I had no idea, and I am a bit of a food nerd! Besides ice cream, one of my favorite things to have on hand in the freezer is frozen fruit. I love being able to eat “seasonal” fruit throughout the year, without having to pay an arm and a leg. I also like frozen fruit because it makes some of the best smoothies!
Recently, we were given the opportunity to sample Wyman's Of Maine and the four of us were pretty impressed with their blueberries!
Beautiful blueberries, in a convenient resealable bag.
Wyman’s has been in the fruit business since 1874, when they started growing wild blueberries. In addition to their blueberries, Wyman’s also offers- Strawberries, Red Raspberries, Mango Chunks, a Triple Berry Blend (which include blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries), a Mixed Berry Blend (which includes blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries), and a Blueberry, Strawberry, and Mango Chunk Blend. When properly stored, these delicious frozen fruits can last up to two whole years!
I was hoping to be able to find the Blueberry, Strawberry, Mango chunk blend- but unfortunately both of the stores I visited had a small selection of frozen fruits in general, and only the Wyman’s fruits available were the Blueberries. The good news? Blueberries are a favorite in our house, so we were happy with what we did find!
We were able to find Wyman's product in the frozen food section...
Like I mentioned, March was Frozen Food Month, so we were pretty excited to try and come up with some sort of recipe, beyond the more typical smoothie. I initially was thinking we would do a frozen yogurt, but that idea evolved into an blueberry ice cream pie!
The girls, helping out in the kitchen...
Blueberry Ice Cream Pie Recipe
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust (we got ours at Aldi)
About 3 cups of French Vanilla Ice Cream
About 2 cups of Wyman's of Maine Blueberries (thawed for about 30 minutes)
-Refrigerate the pie crust for about 30 minutes. While the crust is chilling, thaw 2 cups of blueberries. Take the pie crust from the refrigerator and remove plastic cover. Add 3 cups of ice cream to stand mixer and mix for 2 minutes, until smooth. Add the 2 cups of blueberries and mix for another 3 minutes, or until all of the blueberries are blended through the ice cream and the mixture has turned purple. Carefully pour or spoon the mixture into the pie crust and place in the freezer for at least one hour.
Looks amazing, right?
Other Ways to enjoy Wyman’s frozen fruits During Frozen Food Month and Beyond! :
· A smoothie a day keeps the doctor away – Mix and match Wyman’s frozen fruits to create a new breakfast or snack smoothie each day.
· Bottoms up – Blend Wyman’s fruit into a crafty cocktail or drop wild blueberries to the bottom of your sparkling wine for extra flavor that will keep your drink cool.
· Thaw and toss – Thaw any of Wyman’s frozen fruit and toss into a leafy green or grain salad for a colorful meal that hits multiple food groups.
· Bring out your inner Betty Crocker – Before wild blueberries were known as a super fruit, Wyman’s sold their wild blueberries exclusively for baking. Their petite size leaves less room for water, which means less water in your homemade muffins, cakes and breads.
· Stud your breakfast – Wyman’s fruit is perfect for decorating greek yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or your favorite breakfast.
· Snack attack – Incorporate Wyman’s frozen fruit into wild blueberry chocolate bark, trail mix, or eat right out of the bag.
We had a great experience with the Wyman’s Blueberries. I am looking forward to getting to try their other frozen fruits and experiment with them to create new recipes. I think Wyman’s will be our family’s go-to brand because unlike many other brands of frozen fruits we’ve tried, once the blueberries were thawed they did not taste like they were previously frozen!
Want It? Buy It?
Wyman's of Maine frozen fruits are available in many stores including WalMart, BJs, Stop and Shop, Costco, and even some Military Commissaries! To find Wyman’s frozen fruits in your area, check their Online Store Locator! You can also keep up with all of the delicious updates from Wyman's of Maine on Facebook!
Special thanks to Wyman's of Maine for allowing our family to experience and share about their delicious products!